I designed analog and digital filters for processing flight test vibration
measurements in the aerospace industry.  I understand how cascaded filters
work, and the function of a roofing filter versus the DSP filtering in the K3.
I have owned and operated my K3 since mid 2008, and have turned the bandwidth
knob a time or two during the past several years!

I prefer to keep my roofing filter bandwidth close to the DSP bandwidth, for
maximum attenuation of close in signals.  My experience running stations during
Field Day is that callers are sometimes rusty on their CW skills and unfamiliar
with the equipment they are using.  A fairly wide bandwidth (500-600 Hz) is
sometimes needed to capture these callers.  Yes, turning the bandwidth knob
will accomplish this, and should work in most cases.  But some roofing filter
will be in the chain.  My preference is that it be 700 Hz rather than 2.1 or
2.7 KHz for the additional skirt selectivity and protection of the A/D from
close in signals.

I am not affiliated with Gary, other than being a satisfied customer.  (I used
his "Rework Eliminators" when I built my K2, and I have used the 700 Hz filter
for several years now.).

73,
Chuck  NI0C