That's why on more than one occasion I've said that to evaluate a transceiver's receiver performance, instead of a couple of HP8663 signal generators, two other like transceiver transmitters should be used as the signal sources for the measurements, until that is, our transceivers have the spectral purity of '8663s.:-)

Fred,

In general you are correct.  However, there is one other effect that
the narrow roofing filters are not going to resolve - garbage from
your neighbors in the form of key clicks, transmitted phase noise and
IMD.  I see it every time my neighbor (.66 mi) comes on a band with
his Icom POS ... phase noise an clicks +/- 20 KHz.  The K3 handles his
fundamental just fine as little as 500 Hz away but the phase noise and
clicks make any band almost unusable.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV