Fred,

Everything you say is true, the DSP does set the final filter width, but the hardware AGC can cause pumping in the presence of nearby strong signals. Since my normal desired CW tuning width is in the vicinity of 700 Hz, I bought and installed one of the 700 Hz filters. YMMV some say that a 1000 kHz roofer is fine, and others say that the 2.7 kHz filter works just fine too, but I am satisfied with the 700 Hz width - that is a personal preference, I am not here to convince others about my choices, but only to give information that will allow others to make intelligent choices that suit their needs and desires.

73,
Don W3FPR