I've also found the 700 Hz filter useful in VFO B for tuning through pileups,
or just scanning a band.

I think I can take the blame (or credit) for suggesting to Gary that his 700 Hz
filters would be useful for Field Day operations.

My son (AA0BP) and I have operated a number of years with the K9YA group (1A
from Northern Illinois). When we donated the TS-850S for this effort, the first
thing we did was to take out the narrow (270 Hz and 125 Hz) crystal filters,
and replace them with 500 Hz filters.  K9YA has a great QTH and good signal, so
99% of our QSO's are obtained by CQ'ing.  FD operators are not always good at
zero beating, and we've found the wider filters indispensable for hearing the
off-frequency callers.

I've never used my K3 for Field Day; but I would sure use the 700 Hz filter.

73,
Chuck  NI0C