I agree with Tom. I had a PROIII and then the K3. Both of these radios
are here for the duration. As Tom says my K3 cost over twice what the
PROIII does especially including the P3/SVGA. However I always said
I thought the PROIII was the best bang for buck buy in ham radio these
days. I can find strengths in both radios over the other. So I am lucky
to have both in front of me. The truth is I am still learning good things
about both of these rigs every day.
Elecrafts track record on support tells me they will be with me and my
K3 for a long time. This is a huge value consideration over other makers.
I think Elecraft is pretty unique in that regard and this reflector is
another
factor in choice.
It is a tough call if money is no object but if money is a factor (Isn't it
always?) a good used PROIII is a good choice in my opinion. I bought
mine new on a special special Dayton weekend some years back and
paid 2.2k for it NIB from a major seller. This was just before they closed
them out.
If it is a new country the K3 gets the call every time.   GL es 73

             KØAZ
       Mike Sanders
EM37cd SW Missouri
            www.k0az.com