David,
As a long time user of Pro2s (I have one at home, along with a 7600, plus two on Aruba at P49Y) and K3s (one at home and one on Aruba), both radios have many nice attributes. The intuitive interface on the Pro2 is a plus, and I find it very easy to use in casual operating. The small size and many nifty features of the K3 make it my preferred rig. The one place where I notice a big difference is in CW contesting. I have done many CW contests in SO2R mode with the K3 and either a Pro2 or the 7600 as the second radio. On CW, the K3 is truly amazing. The roofing filters make you think you are the only guy on the band (unless someone nearby has key clicks that actually extend into your passband). With the Icoms, by contrast, you hear all sorts of weird digital artifacts in the passband as a result (I think) of IMD and mixing up nearby signals. The result is that your frequency doesn't sound like a clear freq, even if it rally is so. This is not evident in casual contesting, but on CW in a crowded band I definitely hear the difference when switching between the radios. But a good Pro2 or 3 is a very cost-effective choice.
73, andy ae6y

From: "David Cole" <d...@nk7z.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2014 10:20 AM
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] David Cole...756ProIII vs K3

Hi Fred,
I only trust exact apples to apples comparisons...

A few miles can make a bit difference in props.  I will do an A/B with
my Pro3, using everything the same, antenna, feedline, etc.  I will keep
the rig that performs better.

I have an interesting mix of conditions...  20 is very quiet and has
almost no noise on it, while 40 is filled with QRM.  It will be
interesting to see what happens.

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net