Hello all, I just passed my Tech license and I am looking for a mobile
station to mount on my motorcycle (BMW F700GS)

I spoke with my Uncle Chuck Wood, WD6APP in San Diego, and he praised the
KX3 as radio, said buy one for the house, but thought it was not suitable
for a motorcycle.

His advice gives me pause as to if this is a suitable use for the radio, but
wanted to get the opinion of someone who has maybe mounted this unit on a
motorcycle and has personal experience.

I plan to mount it inside a Ram Mount Large Box, which is water resistant,
and then on to the handlebars, which are on anti-vibration mounts. It still
vibrates, but not as much as a straight connection.

I would have about 1/2 inch on all sides to put some anti vibration
standoffs, to isolate it some more.

Also, how forgiving is the unit of voltage? The CANBUS on the BMW does a
great job of regulating the voltage, but there is still going to be some
variation. Thinking of using an external battery, charge the battery off the
bike if needed, just to stabilize the power supply.

In case you were wondering what I would do with it... most of the road
captains are HAMs too, so we are using FRS at the moment, but want to move
to 6m/2m operations for co-ordinating rider leader/wingman/tailgunners
actions during riders. We have up to 4 groups of 15 per ride, covering 150
to 300+ miles per ride.
All day operation is a requirement, not a lot of chatter, maybe 15:1 rx/tx
ratio at max.