You might get a few ideas by looking here:
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/Rev-B1-1.6-KX3-Mobile-Owners.pdf

There are ideas for mounts, power options, antennas, etc.  The guide
is really for four-wheel vehicles, but some of the concepts may apply
to your BMW two-wheel installation.

On the KX3's manual page
(http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm#KX3), you'll also
find a reference to http://www.k0bg.com/ .  I believe the web site
also contains a number of articles on mobile installation and
operation, but might be less specific to the KX3.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Sun, 4 May 2014 09:20:45 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Hello all, I just passed my Tech license and I am looking for a mobile
>station to mount on my motorcycle (BMW F700GS)
>
>I spoke with my Uncle Chuck Wood, WD6APP in San Diego, and he praised the
>KX3 as radio, said buy one for the house, but thought it was not suitable
>for a motorcycle.
>
>His advice gives me pause as to if this is a suitable use for the radio, but
>wanted to get the opinion of someone who has maybe mounted this unit on a
>motorcycle and has personal experience.
>
>I plan to mount it inside a Ram Mount Large Box, which is water resistant,
>and then on to the handlebars, which are on anti-vibration mounts. It still
>vibrates, but not as much as a straight connection.
>
>I would have about 1/2 inch on all sides to put some anti vibration
>standoffs, to isolate it some more.
>
>Also, how forgiving is the unit of voltage? The CANBUS on the BMW does a
>great job of regulating the voltage, but there is still going to be some
>variation. Thinking of using an external battery, charge the battery off the
>bike if needed, just to stabilize the power supply.
>
>In case you were wondering what I would do with it... most of the road
>captains are HAMs too, so we are using FRS at the moment, but want to move
>to 6m/2m operations for co-ordinating rider leader/wingman/tailgunners
>actions during riders. We have up to 4 groups of 15 per ride, covering 150
>to 300+ miles per ride.
>All day operation is a requirement, not a lot of chatter, maybe 15:1 rx/tx
>ratio at max.
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln