You asked about a specific application, "co-ordinating rider
leader/wingman/tailgunners actions during rides". A VHF mobile or VHF/UHF
mobile is perfect for that. They are small, affordable, and the mobile antennas
are efficient.

The issue is not Elecraft, it is using HF for this purpose. HF mobile antennas
are inefficient, often losing 10dB compared to a full-sized antenna. That means
you really need 100W. One reply suggested two 100W HF rigs, the IC-706 and
IC-7000.

The Elecraft 100W amp would work for this, but it raises the cost to around
$2500 per vehicle, which is 10X the cost of a 2m mobile radio. One of the
reasons Elecraft gave for building the 100W amp was to make the KX3 usable
mobile.

6m or 10m do not have much advantage over 2m in this application, so there is
no reason to spend more money to run on those bands. If you did want those
bands, the IC-8900R covers 10m through 70cm with 50W for $400 (35W on 70cm)
(http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/0890.html).

I'm a backpacker and I love my KX3. I go lots of places where cell phones don't
work. But I would not recommend it for a motorcycle. I'm driving up to Oregon
next week and I'll try to get on the noontime net with 10W mobile, but I don't
really expect that to work.

wunder
K6WRU
http://observer.wunderwood.org/