Jim and All,

Jim Bennett posted his results from buying a relatively inexpensive gaming headset for use with his KX3. I'm not surprised his results are good, but I do wonder if that headset is not one that uses an electret cartridge--most of the PC headsets do. Did you try it with the bias on? I'm not familiar with the AC-404, but most computer headsets are electrets, or at least I think they are.

Electrets are generally excellent choices for use with the Elecraft rigs. The headset that Elecraft sells (made by Heil I think) is an electret. So are the hand microphones.

Jim Brown's analysis of the Yamaha CM-500, which many of us use, is a case in point as to how many of these less expensive headsets can do a very good job, and match up with the rigs very nicely once you make all the necessary adjustments, etc. Jim apparently tested several different ones, and found the Yamaha to be the best match. Electrets can vary a good bit, but nearly all of them should work if connected correctly. I've gotten excellent reports just using a cheap Radio Shack electret cartridge which I inserted in an old microphone housing.

For me, switching to the Yamaha CM-500 was as much about the improvement I realized in the headphone portion. The Heil headset I own, and the Elecraft headset I also own (made by Heil), were very disappointing to me as far as the headphone performance. I don't think I'm the only one who felt the Heils were inadequate as to headphone performance.

I see that Heil has a new headset available, and for a "mere" $250!!! I'm sure they have some beneficial features, but it is very difficult for me to envision $200 of benefit over my Yamaha!

In any event, if you have a PC headset laying around, or have access to one, give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised at the result. Just be sure to wire it up correctly.

Dave W7AQK