On Thu,10/9/2014 6:19 AM, w7...@cox.net wrote:
Jim apparently tested several different ones, and found the Yamaha to be the best match.

Hardly. :) W6XU introduced our contest club, NCCC, to the CM500 several years ago. Over a period of ten years or so, I've evaluated perhaps as many as a dozen cheapo headsets with electret mics. ALL of the mics work fine and sound good with the K3 and other rigs, but there is HUGE variation in the quality and comfort of the headphones. I've seen reference to a Koss model similar to the CM500s that is described as comfortable and sounding good.

Electrets can vary a good bit, but nearly all of them should work if connected correctly.

Yes. Some of the first I tested were from a salesman's sample kit of Plantronics products. All worked fine, but none were comfortable. Ditto for several computer headsets I bought a few years ago for use with Skype.

73, Jim K9YC