> Since the K3 turns off the final stage when below 13 watts, does
> that mean running 10 watts is a bad choice since that's running
> the lower power stage at near maximum?

As it relates to that part of the distortion caused by compression
or clipping in the amplifier chain (IF-> Low power amplifier -> PA),
running the K3 at 10 watts is probably worse than running it at 20
watts.  I don't have specific data on the particular devices used
in the K3 but in general IMD is minimum around 80% of maximum rated
output.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV