> Providing an optional means of reinforcing split/non-split state is
> in the tradition of design iteration -- using feedback about real
> errors that people make, then minimizing them. That's why we're
> having this conversation.

The problem is that you're still trying to reinforce a negative.  The
normal operation is simplex - none of the additional indicators will
do anything to reinforce to an operator set for simplex that he
*should be* split.

These indicators only work if the operator *knows he should be split*
and if he knows that the current indicators - three on the K3, two in
the P3 - are enough to let him know that split is engaged.

Even experienced operators can get distracted.  It is not the lack
of sufficient indicators that is the distraction - it is not thinking
before pressing the PTT switch and even the best can forget to look
before transmitting.

And while I'd love to add a dozen more LEDs, a klaxon horn, and a Van
de Graf generator to the K3's user interface, we have to work within
the limits of the existing hardware.

Unfortunately those are all static indications *when split is engaged*
- they still do not (and can not) tell the operator that split *should*
*be* engaged when it is not.  The only real solution is signal decoding
that listens for "UP" and automatically engages split.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV