It is the operator of the radio who must be in control of his
transmitter. When I go to a split operation I always set the K3 to do
that and I'm good to go.

However what happens is I rarely make the Q right away and I I'll
click on another spot I need to see how that is coming in and with my
software, if there is a split frequency entered, the K3 will be put
in split as well (All is good). But, when going back to the first
frequency, unless I manually work the band switch to QSY to where I
first set up the split, clicking on a spot in the spot log will get
me there but if SPLIT wasn't in that info, I'll be back but not in
SPLIT. When I transmit I'll be dead on the DX.

If I had clicked on a spot on the same band, I may or may not have
had a SPLIT entered based on the info the spotter had left. So if
there was no SPLIT, then QSYing back to the first frequency, I'd
again have no SPLIT.

The problem being that I had set up a split the first time but later
left the frequency and going back to it, I have to check to see if
I'm still in split. Yes, the responsibility is mine to do so but it's
easy to be curious about other possible Qs and then having your
original settings be undone without you thinking about it.

I suspect some version of that scenario happens to most people. For
me, seeing the words in color on the P3 would be an in your face
reminder you are in split or not. I'd love to be able to select that
option, others may not want to but it would save my can, you betcha.

73,

Gary  KA1J

>  > Implicit in your statement, is the assumption that the provided
>  > indicators are sufficient, which all of this traffic would seem to
>  > indicate is not the case.
>
> Implicit in your statement is that the transceiver, automobile, roadway
> or whatever should make it impossible for the operator to have an
> accident.  That's not possible - there are those who can break an
> anvil.
>
> The current design that *THREE* separate indications of split operation.
> Any *one* of those should be sufficient.  *NONE* of the proposals do
> anything to address the real question which should be how to notify the
> operator that he *should be in split*.
>
> The problem is that the operator *is not paying attention*.  The
> correct approach would be:  every time the operator activates transmit,
> the rig display should show a message that says "you are in transceive
> (simplex) - are you sure you should not engage split?  Press XMIT to
> begin transmitting"
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2015-02-18 10:40 AM, David Cole wrote:
> > Dave (AB9CA),
> >
> > Given your logic, we should get rid of all street signs, and stop
> > lights, and guard rails on bridges, and roads, because the drivers are
> > just initiative, and the crutch o guard rails is not needed for them.
> >
> > Implicit in your statement, is the assumption that the provided
> > indicators are sufficient, which all of this traffic would seem to
> > indicate is not the case.

> Message delivered to g...@ka1j.com

---