On 2015-02-18 1:08 PM, David Cole wrote:
> Clearly you are not reading, or comprehending, what is being said
> here...

I am reading *and* comprehending what has been said here.  I've even
been guilty of not being split when I should be but *never* more than
one or two transmissions and most often when the DX is not announcing
that he's listening split.  I make it a habit to check the Delta-F
LED and/or the [SPLIT] icon before calling any station.

The problem is that the operator *is not paying attention*. The
correct approach would be: every time the operator activates
transmit, the rig display should show a message that says "you are
in transceive (simplex) - are you sure you should not engage split?
Press XMIT to begin transmitting"
> ===
Again, using the Extreme card to make a point that just does not cut
the mustard on it's own...

The "need another indicator" chant is extreme in itself.  If three on
the K3 and two on the P3 are not enough how many does it take?  How
distraction needs to be added until a distracted operator becomes
focused?

It is not logical to believe that one can focus a distracted operator
by pouring on additional distractions but if you want it simply do
an option that will cause the VFO A or VFO B display (whichever is
selected for transmit) to blink full time and to prevent anyone from
missing that distraction inhibit transmit if the second line of the
display is not showing VFO B.

No matter how many guardrails you install, there will always be some
fool who drives into that curve 10 MPH faster than the guardrails can
handle.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2015-02-18 1:08 PM, David Cole wrote:
On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 10:55 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV spewed:

Implicit in your statement is that the transceiver, automobile, roadway
or whatever should make it impossible for the operator to have an
accident.  That's not possible - there are those who can break an anvil.
===

Untrue Joe...  No where do I imply that it should be "impossible" for an
accident to happen.  In fact I infer just the opposite, that there
should be safeguards.  I infer it by use of sarcasm.

You are again taking everything to extremes, then arguing that issue as
if the originator of the statement also took things to extremes.  Please
read what was typed and respond to what was typed, not your translation
of what was typed.

On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 10:55 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV sprayed the Internet
with:

The current design that *THREE* separate indications of split operation.
Any *one* of those should be sufficient.  *NONE* of the proposals do
anything to address the real question which should be how to notify the
operator that he *should be in split*.
===

Clearly you are not reading, or comprehending, what is being said
here...  Many Ops here have said, (repeatedly), that the radio is
dropping out of Split for some reason, and they are not noticing it.
Hence your premise that the Ops need to be told they "*should be in
split*" is deeply flawed.

Clearly there is an issue Joe...  There are just too many people
requesting a change.

On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 10:55 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV heaved up the
following:

The problem is that the operator *is not paying attention*.  The correct
approach would be:  every time the operator activates transmit, the rig
display should show a message that says "you are in transceive (simplex)
- are you sure you should not engage split?  Press XMIT to begin
transmitting"
===
Again, using the Extreme card to make a point that just does not cut the
mustard on it's own...

For those of us that make mistakes Joe, (unlike yourself evidently),
there is an issue here...