Thanks for the explanation, Wayne. Funny thing is that I never think of the K3 as *functionally* an SDR radio, I guess because I don't have access to the I/Q signal -- unless it accessible in some sneaky way I don't know about. OTOH in principle it seems one could take the I/Q output of the KX3 and build their own "back end", playing all sorts of games -- not that I plan such an adventure. However, last Summer I did build one of the Tiny Python Panadapters in the April 2014 QST which was a fun project made possible by the KX3's I/Q port, though I soon replaced it by the much more capable PX3.

Aside from its "cosmetic" features, which don't particularly appeal to me, the Icom-7300 looks like a radio not well suited for operation in crowded bands, DX pile-up situations, a strong-signal environment or Field Day. It will be interesting to see what the QST and Sherwood tests reveal.

There are some SDR dongles which will provide a "look at multiple MHz of bandwidth" at very low cost :-) Such a capability can be useful in monitoring a band you're not currently operating.

73, Phil W7OX