I think this is Icom's way of dipping their toe in the water and not
upsetting their fan base by introducing an SDR in convention looking
hardware. I am confident that they will be releasing a whole line of
stand alone SDR rigs...

The question will be what quality ADC Icom uses in the front end of the
7300 and how clean (phase noise) they can make the synthesizer (clock).

If they have enough ADC bits to provide dynamic range, their claimed
synthesizer phase noise comparison should put the 7300 at about the
same level as the Ten-Tec Eagle in the Sherwood "chart" (e.g., 92-95
dB IMDDR3, -134 dBc @ 10 KHz phase noise, 125-130 dB 100 KHz blocking
[ADC limited]).

If Icom "cheaps out" and uses an ADC with limited resolution (number of
bits) like some of its commercial products, the 7300 is likely to fall
way down the list - into the neighborhood of the IC-7000 or FT-2000.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV