I was once a 2-way radio tech and have installed over 1000 business band
radios (yes, over one thousand) in my 15 or so years career. One thing we, the
companies I've worked for, was NEVER to run a dedicated ground wire to the
battery. We used a short ground wire from the radio and the local vehicle
chassis.
From the 100W Motrac/Mastr II/SyntorX (and many others) all used the chassis as
a return path. Only once did I have a problem. Once a Low band unit (39MHz)
with a magnetic mount (NMO-40) came back because the excess ground wire was
coiled into a nice inductor. (I installed that one). Caused all sorts of RFI in
the broadcast radio etc.
Just a data point on thousands and thousands of industrial, commercial and
public safety radio installs out there doing it that way.
Myron WVØHPrinted on Recycled Data -------- Original message --------From: Jim
Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> Date: 9/12/2016  8:58 PM  (GMT-07:00) To:
elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 vehicle mount
OK.  In the absence of learning something different, I agree with your
analysis, Josh.  One of the great things about sticking your neck out
and saying what you think you know is that when you're wrong, folks will
tell you about it. :)

Thanks!

73, Jim

Message delivered to thelas...@gmail.com