Myron,

Good points.

For those who choose not to trust the conductivity of the vehicle chassis local ground point, run the negative wire to a point on the vehicle chassis near the point where the battery to chassis ground wire is mounted - but not to the battery terminal itself nor the battery to chassis cable mounting point. Create a new ground point near the battery to chassis wire and bite into the metal with an adequate star washer for a low resistance connection - no fuse in the negative wire.

This is the recommendation of W8JI Tom Rauch who has also installed many mobile radio systems (commercial and amateur). See http://www.w8ji.com/mobile_ground.htm as has been mentioned previously.

73,
Don W3FPR