A noise blanker will work best on impulse noise - such as automotive ignition noise or lightning spikes. It needs a fast pulse rise time to trigger.

A noise blanker works by punching a hole in the signal - and if the holes are too wide or too frequent, you will find what is left of the signal path to be distorted.

A noise blanker will not work on band noise or other forms of more constant noise. That is what Noise Reduction is for.

Noise Reduction works on correlation - the algorithm looks for what might be a real signal and builds a filter around it.