Interesting point ... Right after getting the new synth for my K3, I was copying a number of WSPR stations on 630 meters. I even got up in the middle of the night to see if I could hear them [I couldn't] as the computer copied them at - 10 to -15 dB SNR. At first consideration, I don't see what effect a preamp would have had, SNR is still the same.

Related subject: An old CW RO's trick when copying a weak signal in noise and QRM is to lay the headphones on the desk face up. I learned this years ago on the Holy Frequency. I have no idea why it works, but it often does. Maybe one of the acoustic experts here will explain it.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn