I don't think it's desirable to have the amplifier controls external antenna relays.  One might sometimes want to operate barefoot.  Besides, there are external antenna relay boxes available, as well as programmable controllers.  (And a few of us dinosaurs are using homebrew antenna controllers.)  In any case, an external controller can easily be made to switch antenna relays, bandpass filters, etc. Another advantage of doing all the antenna switching external to the amplifier is it allows using a single coax, which can easily be disconnected when there's lightning about.

If one already has the antenna switching and control set up, the ONLY new thing the amplifier has to do is to be able to switch the ATU among 2 or more sets of parameters for each band, and have some way the external control system can tell the amplifier which set to use.  My preference would be some logic inputs to the amplifier, say 3 bits, which would allow 8 sets of parameters for each band.  (That might be excessive, but maybe not for some of the big muli-multi stations.  I'd settle for 2 bits, or even 1.) Using a serial port forces the user to use either a computer or a controller with a serial port, not compatible with simple homebrew systems.

My system, for example, has a toggle switch to select one of my two tribanders.  I can switch back and forth several times in a second when trying to determine which direction the signal is coming from.  I can't possibly manipulate more than one switch that fast, nor to I want to have to reach over to wherever the amplifier happens to be, and I certainly don't want to be messing around with a mouse.  (While all this antenna switching is going on, the other hand is running the radio.)

73,
Scott K9MA