Chris;

Add or remove about 6 ft of the open wire line.  See if this helps the 17M issue.

I personally don't like the idea of using a 4:1 balun and much prefer a 1:1 current balun.  With the 4:1, without measuring the Z on the coax side, it may be the Z presented to the tuner is very low and thus outside the range of the tuner.   Additionally, it is most likely with almost every ATU, the greatest loss occurs when the Z is low to very low.  Hence my reason for using a 1:1 and not a 4:1.

73

Bob, K4TAX