The Wirecutter has an excellent article (with recommendations) on surge
protectors.

They have teardown photos, explain their testing methodology, and go into
series mode protectors (SurgeX and ZeroSurge) and whole house protection. They
have some nice graphs comparing SurgeX and ZeroSurge.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/

"Our top pick is the Tripp Lite TLP1008TEL because it stops passing power to
your devices when it’s no longer effective at blocking surges.” ($25 from
Amazon)

“[…] we added the Furman Powerstation 8 as our upgrade pick after it
demonstrated the best surge suppression of all the models we tested [….]” ($127
from B&H)

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood