Did you pull the trigger on the insurance most of the UPS come with?

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
https://www.nk7z.net

On 02/22/2018 11:41 AM, Dave Sublette wrote:
I have just had a most unfortunate experience with a UPS and when Gary said
he had an old UPS he was considering, I shuddered.  As far as I know, older
UPS units overcharge the battery continuously.  The best "problem" this
seems to cause is having to replace batteries every three years or so.

In my case, the battery not only was overcharged, but the UPS died in such
a fashion that the 117 AC was interrupted several times and that killed my
computer, which it was supposed to protect.  I know the house current did
not flicker or drop during the time.  It was strictly the UPS.

I have replaced it with a modern unit that has a selectable "float voltage"
for several types of backup batteries.  In my case I selected a 100AH deep
cycle AGM construction unit.  If the house supply goes down, it switches to
a 60 Hz inverter (pure sine wave) in 10 ms. It has a monitor panel that
shows me the condition of the battery.

Nothing is fool proof. But I hope that this more modern design can help me
avoid this sort of catastrophe in the future.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

73,

Dave, K4TO

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 12:32 PM, Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>