Whoa, a Linux question?  Excellent.

Looks the HarfBuzz shared libraries got updated (probably along with your
window manager of choice) and the kx3util needs to be rebuilt (relinked?
Not certain of the proper dev-speak here) to reference the newer
libraries.   (Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir.)

See if you can get the core file to drop (you may need to do a "ulimit -c
unlimited" to ensure you get one) and analyze it with gdb for more
information.

I wonder if you can do a workaround and keep the libharfbuzz library files
that kx3util is looking for installed (maybe in /usr/local or somewhere
else handy?)

I'd test this myself, but I confess I gave up tilting at the windmills
years ago and use Win 10 for ham radio applications.  I do keep my Linux
boxes around for network and vulnerability management.  Right tool for the
job, and all that.

---
Chuck Milam, N9KY
n...@arrl.net