From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Wes Stewart
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 16:09
To: Elecraft Reflector <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] K3S Power Creep (again)

This is an old subject but with a new wrinkle.  Although I'm observing a drift
in power on all bands (and modes) after a band or power adjustment, it's
ridiculously slow on 17-meters.  It's taking 5-10 seconds to stabilize.

Any change, such as switching to another band and back again or a minor change
in power starts the process over.  This is particularly annoying on RTTY AFSK
A.  (Please no lectures on how Elecraft ALC is different from other radios,
I've been running AFSK RTTY for 10 years with K3s.)  Using the KPA500 power
graph as an expanded proxy for the K3S output power, I'm seeing a change from
about 50 watts to 500 watts after an adjustment. On CW the first dit is about
100W.

I reran the power calibration and this appeared to fix it initially but the
issue returned.  This was particularly annoying when I was running a digital
mode and saw that I was hitting the amp harder than desired.  I tried adjusting
power during the transmission and it practically dropped to zero before slowly
climbing.  Getting a precise level is difficult.

Wes  N7WS