Don has pegged the usual cause of "power creep". I had a bit of that when I first set up my K3 for using WSJT programs back in 2010 when my radio was new.

But the radio does not like you adjusting the power knob if it is transmitting under software. Wait till its in receive mode then you can adjust power if you know what level you want or press XMIT key to manually transmit a carrier and adjust it. I run into this when I am setting up my 2m-8877 amp drive to run 1400w. If it is running too high in operating JT65, I have to wait until the receive sequence starts or click off in the software.

If I try adjusting power while JT65 is transmitting the power will resist change or will suddenly drop to a much lower level. I think you are fighting some auto-level routines in the radio MCU which apparently protect from any large changes in audio drive (thus protecting RF amps from overdrive and/or generating IMD). This last is my guess at what is happening (experts feel free to correct).

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com