My failing memory seems to recall that the CDC6600 used 60 bit math for floating point single precision operations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_6600 seems to confirm that.

They were great machines, till the 7600 then the Cray computers showed up...

It was interesting to bring these machines to their knees by physics calculations that took days to run. They had to be run on weekends to keep the rest of the lab happy.

73 de Brian/K3KO