Hi Bob,

Thanks, I'll try your ideas. We have a year to get ready for our next
NSS operation...

NSS was a Field Day style operation with AB-577 towers, all of the
NSS towers and buildings were demolished 20 years ago except for
three 600 foot towers that are all in the red zone of a firing range!
Because its a Field Day style operation, we don't have enough time
to install separate receiving antennas despite our 500+ acre NSS site...

Our objective is to transmit on our assigned MARS frequencies outside
the ham bands (e.g., 9448 kHz) and listen inside the adjacent ham band
(e.g., 10128 kHz). We don't need to listen to both frequencies at the
same time.

Our K3 main receiver and KRX3 subreceiver share the same antenna
and the transceivers have KBPF3 bandpass filters installed in the
main receiver only .

Before we began NSS operations on Saturday morning we had no idea
that the K3 could not perform out of ham band split operations without
using the KRX3 sub receiver. When we realized that our transmit
power output was severely reduced by using wide split (e.g.,
9448 / 10128 kHz) we started to search for a solution...

We were not successful using the K3 transceivers with a wide split
so on those bands with wide splits (e;g., 9448/10128) we removed
the K3 transceivers and substituted our old FT-1000MPs instead.
They worked very well and were very easy to use. The K3 is far
from easy to use in this application!

As was suggested, operation of the K3 transceiver to meet our needs is
much easier if we install a KBPF3 in each KRX3 subreceiver, since
K3 operators almost always use their KRX3 sub receiver with SPLIT
enabled, which forces the transmitter to transmit on the sub receive
frequency. But a KRX3 sub receiver with no KBPF3 installed
can't listen outside the ham bands where we transmit. So the
commonly used SPLIT operation with the KRX3 can't meet our needs
with our K3 transceivers with no KBPF3 installed in our KRX3 sub receivers

If I had known not to tap SPLIT as I've always done when not transmitting
on MARS frequencies, I may have been successful since we would then
have been transmitting through the Main Receiver KBPF3 on the
VFO A MARS frequency, and listening to the KRX3 sub receiver
in the ham bands.

I'll try split operation on 9448/10128 well before next year by not using
SPLIT and listening on 10128 with the KRX3 sub receiver...

Thanks Bob,

73
Frank
W3LPL