Hi Ed,

We had exactly the same problem with all six of our MARS modified
K3 transceivers at NSS.

We were forced to replace our MARS modified K3 transceiver transmitting
on 9448 kHz with an old FT-1000MP... Only on other bands where our
assigned MARS frequency was very close to the edge of the ham band did
the K3 produce near normal RF output power but only if VFO A was
set to listen just inside the edge of the ham band nearest to our MARS\
transmitting frequency on VFO B.

This is the behavior we discovered with all of our K3 transceivers:

- Transmitting on 9448 kHz or any other MARS frequency on either
VFO A or VFO B works perfectly but only when not operating split .

- Operating split with both VFO A and VFO B set for any
frequencies within the same ham band works perfectly.

However -- when selecting split operation -- VFO B RF output power
steadily drops as VFO A is tuned to receive at an increasingly large
frequency split relative to VFO B transmitting on a fixed MARS freq.

It appears that when operating split and transmitting on VFO B on a
MARS frequency, the K3 bandpass filter associated with the VFO A
receiving VFO is always selected for use with the VFO B split transmitter
outside the ham band. When VFO B is tuned to transmit outside the
ham band (e.g. 9448 KHz and VFO A listening on 10113) the VFO B
transmitted signal on 9448 kHz cannot pass through the standard 30 meter
bandpass filter automatically selected by the K3 for use with VFO A.

Proposed solution: the K3 must dynamically select the proper KBPF3
bandpass filter before transmitting on a VFO B split frequency outside
the ham bands. Then the K3 must dynamically switch back the stock
K3 band pass filter each time the K3 switches from VFO B transmit
to VFO A receive inside the ham band..

This exact same problem occurs on every band, not just 30 meters. For
example on 80 meters NSS was transmitting with VFO B on 4038 kHz.
We were forced listen with VFO A set just below 4000 kHz. As a
result we were forced to ask CW stations to call us just below 4000 kHz,
an unusual operating practice. If we tuned VFO A to receive on 3530 kHz
the VFO B transmitter power output on 4038 kHz was dramatically lowered.

N3CW experienced exactly the same problem when transmitting with
inside the 30 meter ham band and listening on 9448 kHz.

Hopefully the capability to dynamically select to proper bandpass
filter before each transmission can be added to the K3 before the next
Armed Forces Day Cross-Band Test in twelve months...

73
Frank
W3LPL