John,

You are exactly right for bring that factor to attention. Typically wattmeters use diodes in their detectors, and the response will vary by frequency and by the power level.

I would trust only something that has been calibrated to NIST traceable standards. The Telepost LP-100 is one example (and those are used on many Elecraft test benches).

While 10% is an OK deviation for amateur purposes, two wattmeters each with 10% accuracy can lead to a 20% error in the final measurements.

It is too easy to jump to conclusions by not considering the potential errors in measurement accuracy. If you want 5% accuracy in your conclusions, your measurement tools should be accurate to 0.5% - a far stretch for wattmeters as we know them.

73,
Don W3FPR