As there are only one or two days left before the KH1 crew packs up and leaves
Baker Island, I thought I’d post this in hopes that other antenna-restricted
hams don’t think they have no shot. I live in a CC&R / HOA “no ham antenna”
neighborhood. However, I DO have several stealthy wire antennas strung through
the trees in our yard. My 60-6 meter antenna is an 88 foot long doublet, about
45 feet high, fed with 110 feet of home brew 600 ohm ladder line. I also have a
Hustler 5BTV ground mounted that I use for diversity receive. My primary
station is a K3 / P3 combo, 100 Watts max.

I had tried working the DX-petition on several evenings, usually on 20 or 40
meter CW. The pileups were horrendous. I knew I was duking it out with guys
running mega antennas and a LOT more power than me, so I didn’t have much hope
after the first few evenings. Usually went to bed with a headache and
frustration. Last night was different.

After an evening of TV with the XYL, I thought I’d give it another try.
Listened on 20 and I could hear them, but just barely at the noise level; not
loud enough to try calling. So I jumped up to 30 meters. Wow - the KH1 station
was great copy at close to S7! And the pileup was once again monumental. Well,
using the P3 I found a nice “hole” where it seemed like there were no other
signals. Took about 15-20 minutes and.... bingo: W6JHB 599 K. Yes! In the log
for an ATNO!

My hats off to the great ops at KH1/KH7ZZ and to the Elecraft developers for
the fine rig. Having the K3 and the diversity receive capability certainly
helped offset having to use crummy antennas and “low” power.

If I could work ‘em, so can you!

Yeah, I know - being on the west coast helps! :-)

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA