That digital modes are all "low power modes" is an unfortunate urban legend, Ed.  PSK31 is very narrow and will work well in very narrow RX bandwidths.  Noise power, being proportional to bandwidth, will thus be less on each end, and lower powers work well.  It's also angle modulation and moderately immune to at least Gaussian noise.  JT65, FT8, and the other Dr. Joe Taylor modes are "weak signal" not "low power" modes.  They operate in roughly a SSB voice channel bandwidth [~3 KHz] even though each signal is very narrow.  They will decode at negative (S+N)/N ratios in a ~3 KHz channel where there will be many such signals.  With today's abysmal conditions, even 1,500 W may result in a negative (S+N)/N ratio on the other end.  It's the terrestrial equivalent of your lunar path, and no remonstration is required or deserved.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County