Specifically about PSK31, that encoding needs a very linear transmit system.
The 25 W recommendation keeps the signal and the peaks in the linear region of
most 100 W amps. Modes that do not use phase shift keying on a single carrier
might not have the same linearity requirements.

A clean 25 W PSK31 transmission might be heard better than a distorted 100 W
PSK31 transmission.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood