The National Health Service in the UK tends to use slightly modified commercial designs that are maybe a couple of years old, and their input costs are something like that.

However, I don't think self fitting would be allowed in the UK, as setting the gain too high can cause unnecessary damage to residual hearing, and many new users would set it too low to be effective. Mobile phones are also not accurately calibrated. The other reason for not allowing self fitting of real hearing aids is that hearing loss can be a warning of more serious things, like brain tumours, and a proper audiologist will refer patients for more detailed investigation if there are hints of that.

Also, this is only going to work with open fit aids. You can have just a few sizes of fitting. They do tend to work well for people with age related loss, where most of the loss is in the high frequencies. People with more complex losses require custom made ear moulds, and the most difficult cases actually require aids that change the frequency of the sounds.

It looks like Olive only address the easy end of the market. I'm not even sure it would be classified as a hearing aid in the UK (hearing aids are prescription only - RX Only in US terms). I can find none of the technical documentation that I would expect for a normal aid, and, in particular, I can find no graphs showing the performance envelope. It looks like it has something more like an in the ear headphone fitting than the sort of fitting you would expect on a normal hearing aid.

It has enough output to damage hearing if used incorrectly.

It looks to only have one microphone, and loss of directionality is one of the big problems with using hearing aids. Multiple microphones allow some beam forming.

Hearing aid pricing is complex, because the marginal cost of manufacture is quite low, but there are are high R&D costs for the noise reduction and automatic adaptation. A lot of the R&D will be recovered by private buyers paying a large premium for the latest technology (a bit like films take a lot from theatre audiences, but eventually are sold cheaply to TV stations). Also the service costs in prescribing and maintaining can be high. For the NHS these dominate the cost of the physical instruments.

--
David Woolley