With regard to "constantly plugged/unplugged",   I leave mine plugged in the rear of my K3S all of the time.  I use the PF2 function configured to switch between SPKR on/off and Headphones and  switch the mike from the front to the rear being the boom mike on the headphones.    No adapters required.   Just push a button and all is correctly configured.

73

Bob, K4TAX