On 3/22/2019 9:14 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

I waited until all of the frenzy subsided and bought myself a K3 back in '08 IIRC.  I was using a TS-870SAT primarily on SSB at the time and frankly, I was disappointed in the K3, particularly from an ergonomic point of view.  So in looking for a use for the K3 I investigated RTTY. Although I had been licensed for about 50 years at that time I had never operated RTTY.  I've never to this day used the internal RTTY capability, nor FSK for that matter, but I did start using AFSK.  I got hooked.  So I thought to try for DXCC and now have a DXCC certificate that actually says "RTTY" on it. Today it's harder to find new ones, but I have 254 confirmed now with my modest station.

It's great fun and even though it's a "digital" mode, operator skill still makes a difference.

Unfortunately, I heard one of the current DXpeditions plopped on 14.080 using the abysmal FT8 the other day, so nothing is sacred anymore.

Wes  N7WS
Next time you're listening on 20 meters, the most popular band for RTTY, take a
quick spin above 14.080. If you hear some of those magical tones, turn on FSK-D
mode and give this mode a try.