OK John, congrats on getting it to work.  Most of those settings do not apply to keying, but some will apply to getting N1MM+ working.

Without N1MM+, unplug the USB cable from the front panel of the 1258.
Get into Control Panel-->Device Mangler-->Ports and plug in the USB connector to the computer.
You should see 4 virtual COM ports appear, named:

RRC1258 COM0(XX)
RRC1258 COM1(YY)
RRC1258 COM2(ZZ)
RRC1258 COM Extra(UU)

The number in parens is the number assigned by Windows.  The RRC1258 COM1 port is the CAT port to the remote radio.  Start N1MM+ and go to Configure-->Ports.  If you get a "Radio not responding" message, cancel it.  In the first configuration line, select "YY" [windows assigned port for RRC1258 COM1], K3, uncheck, uncheck, and click on Set.

In the window that comes up, 38400, N, 8, 1, Always Off, Always Off, Radio 1.  Uncheck Allow ext interrupts, uncheck the next 4 boxes, Footswitch=None, Polling rate=50% slower, OK.  The next row should be for your Winkey if you're using one.  Find the COM port # by unplugging and see which one goes away in Device Mangler and select it.  None, check CW, Set.  In set window, Always off, Always off, VFO 1, PTT Delay=20, uncheck ext interrupts, and check Winkey if that's what you're using, and None, None, OK

Close N1MM+ and restart.  That should do it for you.  Remote operation involves a lot of "moving parts." The odds of getting it to work on the first try are slim, if you do, go buy a lottery ticket.  The CAT on the remote K3 must be 38400, N, 8, 1.  Nearly all of the buttons and controls on the K3/0 should work as if you were at the real radio site including the MIC and PHONES connectors.  I'm not sure you can record CW or Phone messages in the memories from the control site, I've never tried because W7RN is a shared multi-user site.  Typing a frequency into the N1MM+ CALL field in the Entry window will [or should] send you to that band/frequency.

Let us know your progress.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn