"This is the effect of not being able to obtain perfect components. It is easy
to forget that the toroid cores used for the inductors vary, as do the windings
and capacitors. There will be variances because of this which will be different
from KPA to KPA. They are set up for best case operation, but then as
components age things will change. As it is, the design is outstanding. With
efficiencies greater than 50%, the designers did a super job!"

Jack,

I understand that there will be variation between different KPA500.   However,
2 owners have reported that 20 m stands out as being less efficient than other
bands.  I was asking if that is typical of all KPA500.   I don't really expect
to get an answer though as I doubt many owners have test data as comprehensive
as mine.

I just did a spot check on 20 m and, despite my line voltage being down to
118.1 V with the high air conditioning load in the area,  I saw 60% efficiency
with load R 51 X 0.4:

PA voltage=58.9
PA current=13.8
PA input=812
RF out=490
PA diss=322
PA effic=60

Of course this is not typical of normal operating conditions.

73,
Andy, k3wyc