Hi Jim,

You're probably correct about design compromises made with technologies
available and affordable 14 years ago. Its probably not a coincidence
that all of the top-shelf modern radios have a leg up on the K3 in
the most severe competitive contest environments

Think about what less than 14 years of improvement brought to the market
in the post-World War II environment and the vast performance differential
between the offerings from Collins and every one of their competitors:
- 75A-1 1947
- 75A-4 1956
- KWM-1 1957
- S-Line 1958

Its amazing that the amateur radio HF transceiver market continues to drive
significant performance improvements after all these years, just as it did
from the earliest days of HF radio.

73
Frank
W3LPL