On 2020-11-27 12:29:-0700, l...@ka7ftp.com wrote:
>It seems that this thread has become the whipping boy for open source.  I
>would suggest that it is irrelevant whether something is open or closed
>source.

There have been many good comments pro and con open source here...I am not sure
how my comments came across...I am in favor of open source, and have produced
open source material myself. My comments...and still my point of view...are
more in line with the idea that stuff is rushed out the door. There is a
cultural behaviour associated with this that is generally accepted, and is more
in line with Len's comment re off shore manufacturing and big box distro, but
is not limited to those. Rather, they describe an attitude and a behaviour that
I disagree with.

I was at a meeting a year ago where I chanced to discuss a proprietary $20k
product with someone who was also using it. We both held the opinion that it
was (is) an excellent example of extremely high tech delivered to market before
its time. Another example that comes to mind is the DeLorme GPSR line. I have
used them for years. When the line was bought by Garmin, I figured that I'd buy
into the new company. After struggling for months, I returned the units to
Garmin, and posted a lengthy review of the product. Their public reply was
brief...that the product was not intended to replace the PN-60. Unfortunately,
it didn't succeed at all, IMO. If you wanted primitive functionality and had no
intention of using it at any sort of real (again, IMO) way, then it was a fine
toy. At the time, all of the critical reviews of it were in line w mine.
Positive reviews focused on superficial aspects. This is not a Garmin diatribe,
nor is it current (they may have fixed all the deficencies
 _...it is simply an example of a company with deep pockets, in a mature field,
rushing a product to market well before it was ready (perhaps 2 years). I just
did a quick scan of reviews, and not much improvement.

So the discussion for me is not open source v. proprietary...it is about the
culture that has developed around much of the open-source AND proprietary
markets. I don't think that we have addressed the issue completely
here...rather a few different spot views. That includes my replies. I also
don't think that we need to discuss it in depth here, because Elecraft is not
open source, and many have made relevant comments already.

I just don't want to leave the impression that I am opposed to open source...