" OpenSSL pretty much runs the entire secure Internet. Linux, Python, etc.

But those are exceptions."

And an interesting statistic...

"It's often said that more than half of new businesses fail during the first
year. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), this isn't
necessarily true. Data from the BLS shows that approximately 20% of new
businesses fail during the first two years of being open, 45% during the first
five years, and 65% during the first 10 years. Only 25% of new businesses make
it to 15 years or more. These statistics haven't changed much over time, and
have been fairly consistent since the 1990s.1 Though the odds are better than
the commonly held belief, there are still many businesses that are closing down
every year in the United States."

It seems that this thread has become the whipping boy for open source.  I would
suggest that it is irrelevant whether something is open or closed source.  Much
of the "stuff" we buy today is created and sold in a one off runs  from China.
Once produced it is sold at Walmart and few people care how long it works, as
long as it's cheap.  For the few who care most stores will do a "no questions
asked" refund.  And then the consumer is off to buy another piece of junk.

Open source projects are often created by a single individual , or a few
people, who care about creating a "thing".  There is often no thought about
money, profit, or even maintaining the project.  There are a few that gain
traction and in some cases change the world.  I'm sure it's more than the few
projects that we have all listed in this thread that thrive. It's no different
than the stats above on business.  Unless you can create something that is
useful and compel people to buy and use, the product will eventually cease to
evolve and the company will probably die.  Many open source projects reach
maturity when the goals of the project are meet.  Those project are often
abandoned...  Not really that different from a business that no longer
innovates.

This seems like a silly debate to continue demonizing one method or another.
Both methods are valid and are based of different motivations. And in reality
they are indifferent to our opinions...

I think the question originally raised was as to the possibility of open
sourcing the older Elecraft code.  My guess is that may not happen for a lot of
reasons.    As long as Elecraft is doing well in business why would they freely
part with their intellectual property, I wouldn't.

len