I wish this board could stay technical.
Maybe we should have another one for service issues and rants?
Ham qualifications were mentioned in the signal quality discussion.
Someone should man up and state the obvious:

Radios have become appliances that only a tiny minority could work on in any
competent way and even then they would need pretty spiffy test equipment.  I am
a lifelong hacker and 65 year call holder, with radar, BC, and radio experience
of all sorts, but I have near zero interest in repairing my old K3.  I might
look for a loose connection, but I've never opened either of my two, bought
used.

The "qualifications" we claim to have are a farce.  People with NO IDEA about
anything technical can memorize enough answers to get by the test.  No offense,
but this covers about 90% of new licensees.  But maybe it doesn't matter.  We
need the numbers for political reasons and those who know enough, or want to
learn enough, to do something technical can ignore the others.  Of course we
can choose to help some of the others in the rare instance when they actually
want to learn something.  Mostly they want someone to set up their appliance so
they can pretend to be hams and press the button.  Or go over and put up an
antenna or two for them.

I feel for the "company" but, for whatever reason, they have abandoned the
owners of very expensive equipment they indicated they would maintain and
support.  They are no more, or less, culpable than the big guys.  And "we"
share the blame.  Anyone who expects a piece of advanced  techie equipment,
with 100 or so man-years of programming and a handfull of specialized ICs in it
to have a long (decade+) commercial life is a dreamer.  I just threw away an
expensive wall oven because the SECOND $350 control board failed and I wasn't
about to buy a third one!  If you think Elecraft is bad, just try dealing with
Whirlpool!  I bought a GE (control board $75) with half the bells and whistles
and it cooks fine.  If I could, I'd buy one with a knob!  Front load washers
are thrown away regularly because of door gasket leaks.  FYI, Speed Queen makes
a fine top loader with mechanical timer and NO SCREEN or flashing numbers!

What can we do?  Adjust our expectations!  DON'T buy a K4 if you can't afford
to throw it away in a few years.  It's probably less maintainable than the K3
and Elecraft is bleeding the talent and excitement that served them so well in
the beginning.  Who of us believes there will suddenly appear a supply of
brilliant, loyal, YOUNG engineers and programmers to keep the tradition alive.
If you want to keep your rig going for decades, get a Heathkit, Drake, or
Collins.  They do most of what a K- does and you already have most of the parts
to fix them, or one of your friends does, or Mouser does!  Otherwise, buy an
FT-450 and dump it the same way you dumped your digi tv converter!  The labor
to fix it would cost more than a new one anyway.  Mass production and
specialized hardware have done a great job of giving us marvelous stuff, at the
price of maintainability and support.  Who has had their TV repaired lately?
Would anyone like to buy an IC-746?  All it needs is a display?  Or one of
those Yaesus that just needs a microprocessor or two?

Me?  I am as thrilled to work NY with a 2W Millen Variarm VFO (1941) as I am to
work China with my K3, actually more so because I spent a day or so  making the
Variarm work, realizing full well that a day of reasonably competent service
would cost enough to buy an FT-450, or some other low end rig.

Writing checks and struggling with menus produces NO intellectual reward and
often leads to frustration!

OK, I feel better, like after a nice trip to  the Field Day Porta Potty, so
let the flames begin.  Better yet, if you want to discuss your SW-3, Wasp,
Comet Pro, RME-70, SX-16, SB-401, HT-9, or Gonset Communicator, just let me
know.  And remember, you'll be old someday too.  I'll keep trying to figure out
receiving antenna assignment on the K3...

Wilson
K4OGP (1957), W4BOH (Dad 1932, me 1987)