Good Evening,

   Last weekend was hot, it rose into the mid 90s.  Now it is back in the low 60s.  Summer came and went, the morning fog has returned.  The fir and hemlock have about four inches of new growth on each tip.  I would expect to see deer but the thinning puts the new growth well out of reach.  The birds like the open space.  I am seeing more small hawks flying through, with owls at night.  Four barred owls in concert is loud enough to wake me from a sound sleep.

   I installed and removed a number of logging applications for field day.  Then I simplified matters.  The K3 has four memories where I stored the exchange.  For logging I thought about what I had on hand, and what I did not like about the usual suspects. Small font size with marginal lighting was the first problem.  I wrote a template for a spreadsheet and changed the font size to 21.  Using bold, frozen headings helped too.  The spreadsheet was simple to keep updated as I scanned the bands.  I could fill in call signs and exchanges on the busiest frequencies and revisit them later.  The simplicity made working the contest easier. Logging the time was quick: ctl+shift+;  Then find the next victim.

   The sun has settled down somewhat, providing a window of opportunity for tomorrow's nets.  There are very few sunspots visible today.  The auroral oval is weak and the K index is low. I expect less noise and lower QSB.  But it is best to test one's hypotheses.

Please join us on (or near):

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday (3 PM PDT Sunday)
 7047 kHz at 0000z Monday (5 PM PDT Sunday)

73,  Kevin.  KD5ONS

-

Compilers are like drill instructors:
   You know you have done your very best when they say nothing.