Practically any electret mic element today is going to be good or even great.  Having come from the era of "cans", with the wire headband, cloth covered cord, and thin metal diaphram, that you wore forward of your ears to prevent hearing damage, I've come to the conclusion that the only headphone thing that really matters today is comfort in long sessions.  My Yamaha CM-500 pretty much fits that requirement.  Fully over my ears and very effective at blocking external noises.  It would be perfect if I didn't have to wear glasses to see the radio and computer screen.

During the WW SSB, casual monitoring with my K3/P3 showed many [actually most] of the signals with most of the energy right up next to the suppressed carrier [low audio freqs] where it contributes almost nothing to communications clarity, but does contain most of the power.  The energy falls off rapidly higher in the audio spectrum.

Jim, K9YC, has published an article in the NCJ which you can also find at http://k9yc.com/ContestAudio.pdf   I don't operate phone very much, but following his TXEQ recommendations, my TX spectrum is full in the screen shots others have sent me and I get unsolicited "great audio" comments on SSB.  The TXEQ profile has a much larger effect on transmit audio quality than the microphone choice.  Those signals in the contest that had a full energy spectrum were a LOT easier to understand.

Another K9YC tip for those of us who remember "peak the grid, dip the plate" and are therefore becoming somewhat long in the tooth -- The Elecraft RXEQ has a range of +/-16 dB in each of the segments.  16 dB of high frequency boost is not really enough for me.  But, if I think of the range as 0-32 dB, I get enough high boost to make SSB understandable.  I have to run the AF Gain higher, but it has plenty of range.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County