Unfortunately (IMHO) the 15 dB maximum gain limitation was retained in the new rules (do we need a KPA400?)

Bob, N7XY

On Dec 25, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Tom Althoff wrote:

I thought new FCC rules are going to relax limitations on amplifier gain. I vaguely recall the Elecraft guys saying they might change the drive level requirements of the KPA-800 to allow full output power when drivin by 15W
after the new rules went into effect.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Rairdin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 9:38 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] KPA100 Elimination?

You won't be able to drive the KPA800/1500 products to their full output
with a bare K2.

I don't understand the reluctance to add the KPA100 but at the same time suggesting a smaller, non-Elecraft amp to drive the new KPA800/1500. You can build your KPA100 in a separate case if that's the problem. Otherwise, you will be one of thousands of Elecraft customers happily driving a KPA800/1500
with a K2/100.

Craig
NZ0R
K2/100 #4941