You seem to be correct on your price assessment. It is a shame that such a great radio goes so cheap. I have built several and I enjoy building but just am not willing to lose 20- 30% per kit. There was a time when it was easy to get the kit price for a newly built kit. Just my two cents.

Brent

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Rairdin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 1:50 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] KPA100 Elimination?

IMO - If I ever decide
to sell my K2, or upgrade, the KPA100 would be a
price liability.

I've been watching prices of K2's on eBay for a few months and it appears
you may be correct. It's tough because there are sometimes auctions where
the seller sets a ridiculously low "buy it now" price and throws off the
average. If I throw out the outlying data points it looks like a bare K2
sells for around 20% off the kit price and a K2/100 sells for about 35% off
the kit price.

This, by the way, presents an interesting conundrum: You can buy a kit and
pay someone to build it so your total cost is about 110% of the kit price,
or you can buy an already-built and used kit for about 70% of the kit price.
It also means that from a resale-value perspective, the worst thing you can
do with your K2 kit is NOT adding a KPA100, but rather it is simply building
it! :-)

Craig
NZ0R