I just finished reading a book, CRYSTAL CLEAR, by Richard J. Thompson Jr. The
book presents the fascinating history of the World-War-II effort to provide
crystal frequency control for military radios. This was critically important,
because radios without crystal control drifted badly, which made net operation
difficult and also made it impossible to assign closely-spaced radio channels.

The book was announced in the New Book section of the June 2006 QST. The
book's author had written a nice summary article on the same topic that
appeared in the January 2004 QST.

I make mention of the book here because I know that many members of the
Elecraft list have long memories and share my fascination with radio's
technical
history. (Like Ron, AC7AC, I too remember Edward R. Murrow's reports from
London during the Blitz.)

I do not know Professor Thompson, and I have no vested interest in the sale of
his book.

73,
John, no8v