In a battle war situation - the last thing a
operator military person needs to have to do,
is dial in an exact frequency. I suspect this
was one reason for crystal control.  Also in
secure comms nets - periodic crystal changes,
would make code book syncing net frequency very
practical and reliable.  By definition, in
the military, all radio operators - where
war fighters first.

Does anyone remember Gabriel Heater?  When I
was a kid, out at my grandparents cottage south
of Buffalo - everyone used to sit around the
Philco radio - and listen to Gabriel Heater's
news program, at that time about WWII.
"..... and all the ship's at sea".

73, de Fred N3CSY
...just got a TH-F6A toy, should keep me busy,
till K3 arrives :)